I did it. Today I purchased six 7 week old Rhode Island Reds for our Urban Plot. Let the next phase of "grow your own" begin.
I have been wanting to get chickens for a very long time. But just for your amusement... I am amused.. here is the "timeline" for painting myself (and David) into this corner we are now in!
- For many years: Reading about getting chickens, planning and dreaming and wondering where to put the coop in our yard. Looking at coop plans, will it be a tractor or a stationary coop? Etc...
- 4 months ago: Finally figured out where I want to put the coop and pen! In the shady bottom of the garden where nothing really grows well, but where chickens will be happy.
- 3 weeks ago: I took a "Getting Started with Chickens" class at Eagledove Greenhouse in our neighborhood. It rocked!
- 2 weeks ago: I ordered plans for the City Biddy Chicken Coop.
- 1 weeks ago: I purchased water and feeder units for my theoretical girls.
- Today I went in a paid for 6 chickens at Eagledove to pick up on Tuesday... The deadline is set!
Stay tuned for pictures of our progress and of our actual coop.