Friday, November 20, 2009

Winter Garden Shots-November


Under plastic is carrot and beet seedbed planted last week. Patch of green is arugula planted in September. We are eating lots of Arugula. It will be fine throughout the winter without cover.

Another view of carrot/beet bed and arugula. Further down the row is plastic covered bed of Broccoli. I got the broccoli starts in late and am hoping that the plastic cover will give them a jump start. We'll see. So much of gardening is an experiment.

These covered beds  are more late starts. Broccoli, red cabbage and brussel sprouts. Again.. hoping for a jump start. By now these plants should be much bigger. If they don't get some growth going soon, I am guessing that come spring, they will take off!

Lettuces with open chenille row covers. These covers are awesome. I read about them in Elliot's "Four Season Harvest". The idea comes from France. These covers are SO easy to use and will keep the lettuce growing all winter. This photo shows the cover open. I'll need to take a photo of them closed. Watch for another post on how to build this row covers.

1 comment:

jord. said...

Hey, Beth! I'd love a tutorial on how to build the row covers. I'm experimenting with winter gardening this year, mainly because all of my brassicas are taking forever to grow for some reason and still are not ready for harvest. I bought some generic white cloth row cover,but haven't made it much further than that. I've loved keeping up with the blog! Hope you are well!