Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Good Food = Good Health

 I originally posted this on my other blog, http://spiralway.blogspot.com 
Thought those of you who follow me here might enjoy the article. Sorry it has been so long since I posted here. Perhaps this winter I will get back to writing about my Urban Plot. Enjoy! 


“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."
~Hippocrates
     It has been a long journey to cut out processed food from my family's diet, but these days we rarely give in to convenience foods. I find that if I keep plenty of healthy handy snacks available, it is easier to avoid grabbing just whatever! Making homemade granola snack bars is fast becoming a weekly activity for me. These bars make a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack. I especially love knowing exactly what is in them. I find that making food from scratch is empowering! Cutting out the processed, convience foods and making things from scratch with good quality food stuff is the best way to take charge of your healht.  Knowing what you are putting in your body is the first step. You truly are what you eat!

    Here is my granola snack bar recipe.The time involved in making these bars is minimal and does not require baking. It is a flexible enough recipe that you can a
djust to suit your taste and diet requirements. Makes a thick dense snack bar that is filling and satisfying. Enjoy! 
Power Packed Snack Bars 
4 cups of "good stuff" (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, coconut, oats, grains, etc)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 - 1/2 cup honey or molasses or mixture
1/3 - 1/2 cup nut butter (sunflower, almond, peanut, cashew or sesame)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted nuts or seeds)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
(I also add some adaptogen and immune boosting powdered herbs 1/2 tsp) 
Mix nut butter, coconut oil, and honey in a pan. Warm on medium heat until melted. Add vanilla, cinnamon, salt, cinnamon and herbs. Stir until mixed well. Remove from heat and stir in the "good stuff" by the cupful and mix well. If using chocolate chips mix in at the end once the mixture cools a bit. Press into an 8" x 8" pan, lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars or squares. Store in the fridge. They will become softer at room temperature.
The "good stuff" in my most recent batch is dried apricots, dates, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, currants, pumpkin seeds, granola, coconut. Yum!
 "Health requires healthy food."
~Roger Williams


3 comments:

Window Blinds said...

Health concern tip.. Good work you have done.. Tasty chocolaty recipe..

Red Maple Tree said...

This is great tip. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful post.

perusahaan it said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.

konsultan it
jasa setting mikrotik
Timbangan digital